Everything You Need To Know About Magento 2.3: End Of LifeJuly 26, 2022 | Author: Ashley Brown
Magento 2.3 has been in the market since November 2018, which got surpassed by Magento 2.4x versions. Adobe has officially confirmed that Magento 2.3x will end in September 2022.
The 2.3 version of Magento and Adobe Commerce went through 7 major changes with Magento 2.3.7 released on May 11, 2021. However, with ample B2B and B2C features included in 2.4x and the upcoming 2.5, Adobe is now discontinuing the support for Magento 2.3.x, which means all the 2.3 versions will reach end-of-life in not more than 2 months.
Many people are wondering what will happen after Magento 2.3 end-of-life? What merchants can expect out of this end-of-life? How to upgrade to Magento 2.4.x or any other eCommerce platform for a smooth eCommerce business?
The Magento 2.3 End of Life will have significant consequences on active websites on the Magento platform 2.3 and lower, including no software maintenance, security patches, and more after September 2022. This end of life will also put an end to all quality fixes for Magento websites using version 2.3 till July 2021.
In this blog, we shall dive deeper into what Magento 2.3 end of life means and why Magento 2.4 upgrade and Magento website maintenance play a significant impact on online business merchants in 2022.
What does “Magento 2.3 End of Life” mean?
Websites running on the latest versions are best protected against a wide range of security vulnerabilities. So, if your eCommerce website is running on Magento 2.3.x, it’s high time to upgrade it to the latest version.
Also, to keep Magento 3. x secure during the extended support window, Adobe scheduled the release of two new security patches – Patch 2.3.7-p4 and 2.4.3-p3. Both these patches are expected to get released in August 2022.
These patches help merchants stay secure and maintain PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliance while upgrading to 2.4.4. Adobe will also provide new paid extended support options for customers on 2.3.7 to offer more time for the upgrade process. Some of the key highlights of Magento 2 development services End of Life include:
1. No longer updates and security patches
Adobe will no longer provide new updates for its unsupported versions. It means the Magento platform won’t receive any official updates, patches, or software support like security fixes, feature patches, PCI compliance updates, and more. As a result, websites will become highly vulnerable to security breaches and risks associated with customers’ data. People using Magento 2.3 after it enters the EOL phase will use it at their own risk.
2. Limited compatibility with Magento marketplace extensions
Online business merchants and developers using Magento extensions demand compatibility with every latest version. New extensions will be developed for Magento 2.4, which means you will be left with fewer options in the Magento marketplace.
Also, the extensions that are highly compatible with the unsupported version will no longer exist. Developers will not use many of the essential Magento extensions required for the store. Further, it will limit your ability to leverage the benefits of evolving eCommerce store solutions.
3. No support community
Adobe doesn’t work on support tickets for unsupported versions of the Magento platform, which means developers can no longer file support tickets for Magento 2.3.x. in simple words if you experience any technical errors while using Magento 2.3, you can no longer access help from any community experts.
4. No longer Dev Docs
DevDocs combines multiple API documentations in a fast, organized, and searchable interface. Whenever there’s an issue with a piece of software, developers rely on DevDocs that helps them resolve any issue. With the end of its support, the 2.3.x DevDocs will get removed from all Magento websites. It will become challenging for developers to fix technical issues, troubleshoot errors, or add new features.
Why upgrade Magento 2.4?
Running an unsupported Magento software can become a costly threat with various risks. Some of these risks have been mentioned above. Delaying the upgrade to Magento 2.4 can result in security and usability issues that will further compromise the quality of your eCommerce store. Adobe strongly recommends upgrading to the latest Magento version to leverage the latest features and enhance store security and user experience.
Some of the amazing benefits of upgrading to Magento 2.4 include:
1. Platform enhancements
The new Magento 2.4 version will support various platforms including –
- PHP 8.1
- TinyMCE 5
- Elastic Search 7.16
- Open Search 1.2
2. Performance improvements
- It can handle 10 times larger and more complex catalogs
- Help process 5 times higher transaction volumes every hour
- 34% lover chances of site outages
- Deliver substantially quick API response times
3. Improved security
- Vulnerability of CVSS score 9.1 gets patched in Magento 2.4.4
- It supports ReCAPTCHA on every added coupon code
- Offers enhanced validation to eliminate the upload of non-alphanumeric files
- Send encrypted OAuth access tokens and password reset tokens for database storage
4. Enhanced features
- Headless commerce and PWA development
- Buy online, Pick-up in store (BOPIS)
- Order approval workflows
- Seller-assisted shopping
- Inventory management
Some of the top reasons to upgrade to the latest Magento 2.4 version include:
- Magento 2.4 upgrade comes with enhanced security features, bug fixes, support for 2FA, and more. As a result, it makes your store highly secure with amazing unique features.
- Users can gain advantages from regular security patches with every Magento update
- Buy online, pickup In-store support is one of the unique features of the Magento 2.4 release. If you own a brick-and-mortar store, you can easily integrate such functionalities into the store for enhanced results.
- The media gallery of the latest Magento 2.4 version is approx. 30 times faster compared to other versions
- Offers enhanced performance as compared to Magento 2.3, along with a few improvements in search functionality, checkout pages, store catalogs, and more. Therefore, you can experience a fast-loading speed and boosted conversion rates, store catalogs, and more.
- Supports both PWA 6.0.0 and 6.0.1, which makes it easier to create Progressive Web App Storefronts for online eCommerce store
- Updated user interface
- Improvements in payment mechanisms
Are you looking for ways to upgrade the Magento version with ease? We can help. Hire Magento 2 developers from our well-renowned Magento development company and they will perform everything. From creating new stores to platform migration and upgrade processes, our experts offer hands-on experience with the latest trends, skills, tools, and more.
1. How long will Magento 2.3 support?
Magento 2.3 was released in November 2018. But now, Magento 2.4.x releases have superseded Magento 2.3, and Adobe has officially announced that Magento will enter EOL (End of Life). The official support for this release will get terminated on September 8, 2022.
2. How long will Magento 1 be supported?
As announced previously, Adobe will end its support for the 12-year-old Magento 1 in September 2018.
3. How many versions are available in Magento?
There are two distinct versions of Magento – Magento Open Source and Magento Commerce