Magento 1 to Magento 2 Migration – How to Upgrade without Any MistakesJuly 19, 2022 | Author:
Ecommerce development has witnessed a lot of changes since the launch of the Magento 2 platform in July 2015. Since the focus of this eCommerce platform has shifted from Magento 1 to Magento 2, the official support for the older version of Magento 1 has come to its end of life in June 2020. Therefore, eCommerce businesses should now consider migrating their stores to Magento 2 for leveraging the benefits of Magento 2
If you’re still running your store on the previous version of Magento, it’s high time that you opt for Magento 2 migration service delivered by experts. Although Magento 2 offers numerous additional benefits such as PHP 7 support, advanced security, and enhanced performance and user experience. However, Magento 2 migration is not an easy task, and therefore, you must be meticulous during the process. Any carelessness or negligence in this regard can lead to your store’s malfunctioning or data loss.
Anticipating the risks, we have brought this comprehensive guide that will help you with everything in the Magento 2 migration process. We have enumerated some essential points for migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
How to Prepare for Magento 1 to Magento 2 Migration
To avoid any major issues like store malfunction and data loss, it’s better to take certain precautionary measures.
- First of all, create a backup of your Magento 1 store, including all files and folders as well as the database.
- Never use the live store for the migration process. Instead, create a clone of your Magento store.
- Check the compatibility of your current themes, extensions, and custom codes with the latest Magento 2 version.
- You must remove all outdated and unnecessary data from your Magento 1 database, including logs, recently viewed products, etc.
- You should install a new copy of Magento 2 on the same server on which you had installed Magento 1.
Magento 1 to Magento 2 Migration – Key Steps Involved
According to the Official Magento Migration Document, the entire process of Magento 2 migration is divided into 4 major steps described below:
1. Magento Theme Migration
It’s worth noting that there is no direct method to migrate themes from Magento 1 to Magento 2. However, you can create custom Magento themes or install one from the Magento 2 marketplace
You can always hire Magento 2 developer for custom Magento theme development services.
2. Magento Extension Migration
Extensions installed on Magento 1 may not be compatible with the latest Magento 2 platform. There is no tool available that allows direct transfer of these extensions. You need to download and install extensions from the Component Manager on Magento 2.
3. Store Customizations Migration
If your store is running on custom codes while operating with Magento 1, it becomes essential to migrate your custom code from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
4. Database Migration
Lastly, you need to migrate your data of customers, orders, products, store configurations, etc. You must protect your data from any type of cyber attack or deletion because it is a valuable asset for your business. You can use Magento Data Migration Tool for migrating your database without any hassle.
Why Should You Migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2
Below are some major reasons why you should migrate your store to Magento 2:
- Magento 1 has reached its end of life in June 2020 which means it is no longer going to receive official support.
- Magento 2 is compatible with the latest PHP versions for better security and coding.
- The latest version provides a 50% faster page loading speed than Magento 1.
- It offers a clean, and efficient admin dashboard.
- Magento 2 ensures better store performance.
- You get more advanced SEO and security features.
By now, you may have realized how important it is to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2. By following the above-mentioned steps, you can reduce costly mistakes during the Magento 2 migration process. As a leading Magento 2 development service provider, we are backed by an experienced team of Magento certified developers that is adept at performing a smooth Magento 2 migration process without breaking anything on your store.
If you’re looking to hire Magento developer or migration experts, get in touch with us with your project requirements.
Q.1. What will happen if I don’t migrate my store to Magento 2?
Ans. If you don’t migrate your store to Magento 2, you are likely to face the following issues:
- Compromised security
- No updates and support for Magento 1
- Lag in the market competition
- Poor store performance
- Difficulty in finding the required Magento extensions from legit developers
- Limited Magento 1 experts
Q.2. What data can be migrated manually?
Ans. There are four types of data that you need to migrate manually:
- Storefront design
- Admin user accounts
- Access Control Lists