Magento Upgrade Service
Every e-commerce needs to consider an upgrade for his online store once or more during the business lifespan. Doing Magento Upgrade is easier said than done, considering the number and complexity of the tasks to be covered during a single move. This post is purposed at helping you to gear up for the next version upgrade of your Magento website. Let us start by understanding all the steps that go into a typical move from one version to its successor.
An upgrade from an older version of Magento to the newer one involves a series of steps apart from consulting Magento upgrade services, which are mentioned as follows:
- Ensuring that you have backups of the Magento code before you put the store in the Maintenance Mode.
- Re-indexing before and after the upgrade.
- Make sure that you have the database backups too.
- Disabling the compilation mode.
- Deleting the cache with the command: rm -rf /var/cache/*
- Deleting sessions with the command: rm -rf /var/sessions/*
- Uploading the tar file, then extracting it with the command: tar -zxvf magento.tar.gz
- Next copying it a directory higher for upgrading the files with the command: cp -r magento/*
- Visiting the frontend and removing or resolving the bugs present, if any.
- Finally, you have the latest Magento version installed after completing these steps.
It is important to remember that all of Magento will be upgraded the next time when you visit the store’s frontend. You will need to make an exception for your IP address not to be affected by the maintenance mode. The Magento upgrades scripts will now run and everything is likely to work as expected. But several times, there are chances that things will not go as smoothly as the steps make it appear.
Tips and Tricks to help you in effective Magento Upgrades
Here are some common issues that you may come across while upgrading to a higher version of the platform. Also mentioned are some tips and tricks to address these issues:
Use Latest Module Versions
The most common issue during an upgrade involves products and/or categories not showing up correctly. The problem can be resolved by taking notice of any modules involved with SEO or rewriting the URLs. If you find any issues with them, ensure that they are upgraded to the latest version at the earliest. Such issue gets resolved by upgrading the module or by disabling it.
Add a Formkey
Another prevalent problem with upgrading is that the customers face glitches during login to their accounts or while updating carts. The reason for this is that the newer Magento 2 Upgrade versions utilize a form key which has to be added to every form. The problem, therefore, can be addressed by just add in the form key. You can add from key by consulting reputed Magento upgrade services provider, they will help you to get out of mess in a simple manner.
Check The Payment Method Tab
In one of the interesting scenarios during an upgrade, the front page fails to load properly after upgrade. For instance, there are some glitches with the loading of Payment Method’s tab in the Admin panel. The solution is to check Magento’s core /Paypal/ module and make sure that it is not overwritten in app/code/local/. If this is the case, the developer should disable it by changing the folder’s name to “Paypal_Old”.
Disable Installed Modules To Find The Cause of Glitches
If the Magento store is not loading or the pages are broken, the best approach is to disable the installed module one at a time. Every time a module is disabled through app/etc/modules, the broken page is refreshed. Eventually, the reason for neither the store nor being loaded can be found through the process of elimination.
Enable Cache and Create Missing Columns Manually
In some cases, even after the Magento upgrades is made on the development server flawlessly, there can be some issues while pushing it live on the production server. A common one is the occurrence of the “SQL” Error indicating that two tables cannot be joined because of some missing columns in a table. The issue can be fixed by enabling cache, creating the missing columns manually, and then re-indexing.
Follow Best Practices While Modifying The Core Files
Any modifications to the core Upgrade Magento Version files can be checked by running ‘diff’ comparison between a clean Magento Upgrade Service and the current product version. Such problems are attributed to the developers overlooking the rules and modifying the core files even though it is against the best Magento Upgrade Service.
Reset To a Default Theme and Check Extensions
It is advisable to disable all the extensions and modules prior to the upgrade and reset the theme to default to simplify debugging. The theme can be changed back and the extensions can be enabled after the upgrade. However, the extensions should be checked one by one each time to identify the ones causing problems and the ones need to be fixed or cause problems.
Use GIT and version control
Magento can be upgraded with a relatively short downtime by using GIT and version control. Much of the hard work can be avoided by upgrading on the development branch and then pushing those changes live while working out on resolving all the bugs.
Check mobile version as well
Finally, you should ensure to check mobile because there is a possibility of mobile themes and extensions becoming outdated due to the upgrade. The issue can be overcome by redoing the changes on the old version and customizing them on an updated version of the corresponding mobile extension and Upgrade Your Magento Version.
Why Choose Agento Support for Magento Upgrade Service?
- Team of experienced professionals having appropriate knowledge of Magento upgrades.
- Our developers offer smooth and secure upgrade service with complete data backup.
- Our team includes Magento 2 developers as well that offer customization and migration services as well.
- Address issues related to integration on timely basis. Agento Support offers 24/7 Magento support as well to the users when experiencing any technical issues.
- Get relevant support for customization and choose from multiple Magento Packages as per your business requirements.
- Improve the conversion rate and sales for the e-commerce store.
- Apart from upgrade, we have a team for ERP maintenance and AWS integration that offer budget oriented services to end-users.
- Get an expert evaluation of your troubles, security requirements and desired roadmap.
- Clients looking for SAP integration services can contact our team of experts.
Magento upgrades to the latest stable version is always recommended keeping your e-commerce store at the highest level of performance and empower it with the latest that the platform has to offer. Agento Support is a trusted Magento 2 Support partner that can help you make a smooth transition to the latest upgrade of the platform. Connect with us with your requirements and get the best Magento upgrade service for your e-commerce store to meet the desired business results.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I upgrade Magento?
To perform Upgrade:
- Log in to the Magento Admin.
- Click System > Tools > Web Setup Wizard.
- Click System Configuration.
- Enter your authentication keys in the given fields.
- Click Save Configuration.
- Click System Upgrade.
Should I upgrade to Magento 2?
Yes Magento upgrades will help your E-commerce website in several ways as mentioned:
- Fast loading speed
- Multilingual content
- Smooth & Secure payment
- Guest Checkout service
- SEO functionality for higher ranking
- Smooth conversion & higher ROI
How do I upgrade Magento 1.9 to Magento 2?
- Review extensions on your current site.
- Plan Capacity
- Build and test Magento 2
- Start your migration.
- Update incremental data.
- Make website live.
How do I upgrade to Magento 2?
- Log on to your Magento backend
- Navigate to ‘System’
- Click ‘Web Setup wizard’
- If you can’t access the setup page, it’s possible the symlink wasn’t created.
- Select the Magento version you wish to upgrade to and click ‘Next’
- Start the ‘Readiness check’
- Click ‘Next’ if possible, otherwise fix issues before continuing
- Create a backup by checking Code, Media, & Database
- Once the backup database is created, click ‘Upgrade’ to finish upgrading.